Monday 7 April 2014

Travel Tips


 Hello lovelies!


I like nothing better than to get away and do something a little bit different every now again….So this weekend I went to Belfast with my friend for a few days just to chill out from all of the final year University stress! We managed to get a really cheap deal so we thought…why not?! One of the things that made it such bargain was the low cost flight that we scooped up. The catch was...we could only take hand luggage, and with the amount of outfit options I like to have, it was going to be a bit of a squeeze. But I managed it even with room to spare (which I then filled up with extra shoes)…hoorah! And here are a few little tips and tricks I use to make the most of my carry on!

1)    Invest in a case that fits the cabin case dimensions.
You can get some absolutely gorgeous bags, which are the exact dimensions that airlines allow for carry on luggage (usually approximately 50 x 40 x 20cm). I personally prefer the little suitcase style, as they are hard so you can fill them up without the stress that it won’t fit! I have a plain black suitcase (it avoids the dirt!) and tie a little scarf around the handle. This not only brightens it up but I also know which one is mine! Debenhams have a lovely range in at the moment, with some really bright colours too so you can stand out from the crowd! Have a little look here.

2)   Toiletries.
It can be a bit of a pain when you are away for a few days and in your hand luggage the only liquids you can have must be in a (resealable) clear bag and can only be under 500ml. Pick yourself up a miniature toiletry case which comes with a little selection of empty bottles that you can fill up with your shampoo, conditions, shower gel, moisturizers etc. This avoids having to take full sized ones (or even worse, full size, half empty bottles) and also gives you a really handy case for storing the rest of your essentials.  When I am going away for a few days, face moisturizer, concealer, mascara and Vaseline are my absolute must-haves and so these toiletry bags are brilliant for keeping it all tidy and sticking to the rules! You can pick up a cheap one from Ebay if you can't get your hands on one in the high-street. 

3)   Plan your outfits.
This might sound simple, but it really does make life so much easier when packing for a few days away. Knowing exactly what you are wearing means you know exactly what underwear you need, jewellery and shoes! It also means you avoid packing things that you will never wear  (because you don’t have THAT skirt that only THAT top goes with!). I also try and pack my staple items such as black vest tops and black skinnies that can be worn a couple of times, but with a different jacket and necklace look like a whole new outfit!

4)   Fold and roll.
It makes sense that the tidier you are with your packing, the more you are going to be able to fit in your suitcase. I make sure that all of my clothes are folded as flat as possible and I stack them up, but you might prefer to roll your clothes up as that might work better for you and your selection.  It also makes it much easier at the other end when you are unpacking, as your clothes won’t be creased. Also, fill up your suitcase so it is nice and snug. Then your things can’t shift around and come unfolded…(and what a perfect excuse to sneak in that extra skirt that you couldn’t decide if you ABSOLUTELY needed).

5)   Fill your boots!
If you have a pair of boots or shoes that you need to pack in your suitcase, make the most of the space they take up by rolling up your undies and socks into them. The boots will be taking up the space anyway, so go on and…fill your boots!
Also try and make the most of your travelling outfit. I don’t mean layer up as much as possible so your resemble the Michelin man… but wearing that chunky knit jumper or your heaviest coat will mean you can fit more lightweight things into your suitcase. If you don’t want to wear the coat all day, the suitcase can double up as a coat stand for the few hours you are in the airport!

I hope these little tips help you get the most out of your little bags! What tips do you have for your penny-pinching packing?

Charlotte xxx


1 comment:

  1. Hi! I've just found your blog from a retweet on twitter and I'm liking it! These travel tips are super good as well, I personally follow every one of them! I look forward to reading more :)

    ReplyDelete